So I figured I’d get the blog started right this year by giving my loyal readers a taste of what the SBL draft might look like. Enjoy…
1) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Nate Tomko
Every year folks try to spice things up by making an argument that Nate Tomko isn’t the consensus number one pick. Every year, he proves that it isn’t even close. I look forward to John Offutt having a much improved season…or Nate having a coronary being on his team…one of the two.
2) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Terry Shernisky
Last year Bob Spohn developed to one of the most underrated talents in the game playing third fiddle on the Laser Cats. This year he will need to step it up another notch to compliment the second greatest player ever to wear an SBL jersey.
3) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Bryan Frankovich
Jeanne has proven to be more than capable at the leadoff spot. Having Frankovich on both sides of the ball should put her right in the hunt for the Left-Eye come season’s end.
4) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Gavin St. John
You can doubt Gavin’s choice of music and men, but you can’t deny that he took it to another level at crunch time last season. Gavin is a force in all areas of the game which should match well with Opie
5) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: PJ O’Connor
By bringing another talented PJ into the fold, this team could unleash chaos on upon the league…no matter what their name is.
6) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Christ Everett
Supposedly he’s good…and he works at the lube…so I can see Billy D picking him up here…
7) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Katie Kelly
…especially when he has another pick right after it to pick up the best leadoff hitter in the game today.
8) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Billy Weisburg
If this team added Billy Wesiburg to an already good defense, their opponents could be seeing red all season.
9) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Terry Hall
Terry Hall is freakishly talented on defense. Being on a team where he doesn’t have to be the number one option on offense could be a good fit.
10) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Mike Morocco
Mike claims that he’ll be in Pittsburgh and might not make it, but with Gavin and Bryan already coming from that way, I’d be shocked if he missed more than 3 weeks.
11) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Matt McClelland
While he’s lost a step over the years, McClelland could give Bob and Terry the intangibles needed to get back to the top of the mountain in 2009.
12) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Kip Corbett
I’d be tempted to take more of a leadoff hitter in this spot, but Kip is a wiley veteran that could probably adapt his game to hit firtst…and would be
13) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Pat Nespor
While John and Kip are bound to get under Nate’s skin (and vice versa) at least 2 or 3 times during the season, John would be wise to take a feel-good type player with this pick…and nobody can be angry when they get to play with Pat Nespor.
14) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Ben Smith
Having a solid nucleus in place, Bob can now find a player that might not be there every week, but will be solid when he comes. Enter Ben Smith.
15) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Brandon Gillshire
Jeanne and Gillshire seemed to always get along.
16) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Mike Frankovich
Mike Frankovich is quietly one of the best lead-off hitters in the game. While he might miss a few games due to back and legal concerns, I see him being there at least five weeks.
17) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Dennis Lackey
Yes, he’s past the mindset where Baseketball is his Sunday priority, but I’m guessing he’s good for 3 or 4 solid weeks.
18) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Greg Lackey
…and if he doesn’t come, Billy can utilize Greg instead.
19) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Lenny Crist
More familiar faces in familiar places.
20) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Lee Nespor
Opie and Lee could set some sort of record for solo homers by teammates in a season.
21) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Jon Olsavsky
Jon has some unexplainable fondness for Frankovich…and he also gets along well with Jeanne. If anyone can get the salt and pepper haired legend to return for another round, it’s this team.
22) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Shelley Goodpastor
Shelley is too good for a team not to take a chance on her.
23) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Chris Pasci
I don’t see him coming if he isn’t on Mikey’s team, but you never know.
24) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Aryn Christman
It looks doubtful that she’ll be up this summer, but you can’t go wrong with picking her here.
25) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Danielle Hennon
Danielle probably wont come every week this summer, but she’s far better than people give her credit for.
26) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Chuck Muszik
I’ve heard this kid’s name for like 4 seasons now and still couldn’t pick him out of a crowd at the Lube after a few beers.
27) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Lou Shernisky
It’s always a treat when Lou shows up.
28) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Jeff Pallini
Pallini is the perfect player in this spot. He only comes when asked and always does something memorable.
29) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Jon Biddle
I can see Billy going a little wild here and picking up the big names that might not show the whole season.
30) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Jared Clayton
Make that a double.
31) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Cassie Pyle Nespor and Tara Shawley
My guess is that Tara would be more upset at not being picked than Cassie….but better safe than sorry.
32) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Pat Lackey
Is Pat fuzzy head or feather hair? I can never remember.
33) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Stud Frankovich
You know what the SBL needs? An RSS feed…and Stud making a few appearances to pad cousin Bryan’s stats.
34) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Rob Whitling
Supposedly Rob is moving in with another of his boy toys this July. I give that the same chance as Jamie Morocco coming back to play more than 4 weeks this year…
35) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Jamie Moroco
…which makes me sad.