So now that everyone has read the mock drafts....what do i think of the actual picks? Read on...
1) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: PJ O'Conner
In perhaps the most stunning turn of events in recent memory, John stuns the SBL world by forgoing on the big three and picking young PJ with the overall first pick. I’m shocked, stunned, and wondering if John Offutt was actually at the draft to make this pick.
2) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Bryan Frankovich
This pick is at least defendable. My guess would be that Bob wanted to prove himself without his Laser Cat’s cohorts…and also knew that Jeanne desperately needed a superstar.
3) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Nate Tomko
The picks start making much more sense from this point forward. Nate goes here because Queenie knows Nate better than Terry.
4) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Terry Shernisky
Somehow the Opster lucked out and landed what many considered to be the number one overall talent with the 4th pick.
5) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Billy Weisburg
Did anyone not see this one coming?
6) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Chris Everet
Building a team around a rookie isn’t always the best idea, but all indicators are that this kid could be a stud. You know that the league’s dictator wasn’t going to let Deforest pull an O’mahoney and wait to pick this kid up…
7) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Katie Kelly
…but he could have at least waited till this spot to take Everet. Katie Kelly has a temper at times, and being picked below a player who has never even played baseketball could be a slap in the face to the diva of the SBL.
8) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Gavin St. John
I think Gavin in this spot is a steal. One of the newly reformed ladies recently told me that they plan to win the title this year. Adding St. John certainly could get them there.
9) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Matt McClelland
With another of the league’s premier long range shooters already in tow, McClelland was probably the right pick here. He’ll give them a leadoff hitter and someone to set the table on defense.
10) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Mike Morocco
Even though he says he wont be as reliable as in past years, at this point teams would have been foolish to pass up on arguably the forth best player in the league.
11) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Terry Hall
While early indications were that he might have quit the SBL after last year’s playoffs, I actually have received confirmation that Terry Hall does plan to suit up in 09. Teaming with Spohn and Frankovich could could be just what Terry needs to win a championship.
12) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Jon O
Offutt takes the original Jon-O….once again leading me to believe that he may not have been there. The only time I have heard Olsavsky talk about Offutt…it wasn’t very flattering.
13) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Lenny Crist
At a time when Offutt probably needed a really reliable player, there might have been a better pick. Still, if this team shows up they will probably be a fan favorite.
14) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Chris Pasci
Frankovich has said that he can get Pasci to come...which would make this team really really good.
15) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Ben Smith
According to Ben Smith, he will be there almost every week. Reliability was key here considering that Mike might of might not show.
16) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Kip Corbett
One could have made the argument that Kip should have been picked 3 or 4 spots before this, but I’m sure Opie didn’t mind getting one of the most consistent hitters of all time.
17) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Tim Martin
Hard time should get a lot more playing time this year…and is a much needed boost on defense.
18) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: D. Shaffer
I really don’t know who the guy is, but does anyone else miss Fred Shaffer?
19) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: The Lackey Brothers
I’m always excited at the thought of Lackeys.
20) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Aryn Christman
With 4 very reliable players, this was well worth the gamble.
21) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Brandon Gillshire
Someone told me recently that Gillshire has started to wear shoes. I really hope that was just a winter thing.
22) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Jon Biddle
I think either Nespor would have been a better pick here, but I also can’t argue with Biddle if he shows up a couple weeks.
23) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Sweet Lou Shernisky
Is someone going to pick a Nespor?
24) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Lee Nespor
There we go. I’m really hoping that this team shows up.
25) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Mike Frankovich
Mike Frankovich may have to pursue nursing career elsewhere, but he is well worth the risk here.
26) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: Shelley Goodpastor
Nate is one of the few people in the SBL who could probably get Shelley to come if they need her.
27) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Danielle Hennon
Danielle adds another consistent hitter that wont take away from Terry or Opie’s homerun totals.
28) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Pat Nespor
I’m actually a little upset at some of the players who were picked over Pat Nespor. But, I’m really excited to see the team he’s on.
29) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Chuck Music
Billy better hope some of these rookies and unknowns pan out.
30) TEAM BILLY DEFOREST: Stud Frankovich
At least with Stud we already know he’s unreliable.
31) TEAM BIG RANDO & PJ: Sam Lynn
I’ve heard that she’s back in the area…and will be a good fit for this team.
32) TEAM OPIE NEFF: Derrick Lochovich
He seems to come around if he’s needed
33) TEAM JEANNE MENTREK: J. Clayton
Personally I like to see Clayton and Tomko play against each other…but you can’t fault this pick here.
34) TEAM BOB SPOHN: Ben Elliot
He’s definitely in the area. I’d like to see Big Whitey finally get his chance to play a big role on a good team.
35) TEAM JOHN OFFUTT: Jamie Moroco
< insert random comment about my love for Jamie Moroco here >